Traveling is fantastic. It’s so great to visit new places, revisit ones you’ve fallen in love with before, experience new tastes, and meet new faces. However, with all the jet setting it’s often easy to forget to take care of yourself inside and out, and in the end that can ruin your trip a little. To make sure you enjoy every moment of your next adventure, I want to share some of my tips for healthier travel.
- Eat a filling, healthy breakfast like avocado toast with two eggs, or a green protein-filled smoothie.
- Before leaving for the airport, make an immune boosting smoothie, especially if it’s a lengthy trip. Airports and airplanes are filled with germs and sick people, and you need to keep your immunity strong! My favorite is :1 orange, 2 kiwis, ginger blended together, and topped with bee pollen.
- Bring a snack to eat before your flight. A yogurt, banana, hardboiled eggs (eat those before you’re on the plane, so you don’t stink up the whole airplane)
- Apply thick moisturizer. Airplane air really dries the skin out, so I always have a small TSA approved size coconut oil with me in case I need to reapply mid flight.
- Exercise! I always try to exercise the day I’m traveling, even if it’s just a few yoga stretches to open up the body a little bit. In the airport I generally walk around, because I know I will be confided to my seat for a while so it’s better to keep moving. If your flight is super early, then exercise after you get to your destination. Again, it can just be a few stretches, to stretch out your body after sitting for a while in weird poses.
In the Airplane:
- If possible, avoid airplane food. I feel so much better once I started avoiding airplane food! Because you don’t taste food as well once you’re in flight, airplane food is filled with preservatives and sodium to enhance the flavour. I’ve gone through several transatlantic flights without eating on the plane, so it is totally doable. I usually bring nuts and some fruit, because it keeps me full for a long time.
- If you have a connecting flight, you can find a healthy option at the airport. Stay away from anything processed, as it will make you retain water and feel bloated.
- Stay hydrated! You lose a lot of water with air travel so it’s important to replenish it with water. I usually bite the bullet with bottled water prices in the airport and buy it anyways because what you are given in-flight is not enough.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine on the airplane. It will make you more dehydrated so just stick to simple water.
- Use essential oils! I use an immunity blend to disinfect my hands, a breathing blend to help my breathing in the stuffy air, and lavender to relax.
- Bring ear plugs and an eye mask. These help me relax more, and you’ll score bonus relaxation points with noise canceling headphones!
- Move around. Ensure you get up every once in a while, especially on longer flights. One of the reasons why I love night flights is because it’s easier to stretch in your seat (or standing by the restrooms) while the rest of the airplane is asleep.
- Pack LUNA Natural Sleep Aid to help you snooze on the plane and keep your circadian rhythm on track once your arrive!
Staying healthy during ground travel is easier because you can bring things with you, or stop somewhere if you are on a road trip!
- Try to have a filling and nutritious breakfast before you go.
- Bring some fruit, veggies, and nuts to munch on while you’re on the road.
- Stay hydrated. This one is true no matter what you are doing in life, or where you are going.
- If you are on a road trip and there is nothing healthy in sight, choose the lesser evil.
When you arrive feeling fresh and not bloated, you’ll be happy you followed these tips- but it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your time once you reach your destination! I already mentioned in my previous post about how it’s okay to fall off the bandwagon occasionally, and I’m sticking to my guns.