Your body needs healthy fuel to perform well before a workout and to recover properly after a workout. Choosing the right types of food before and after you work out doesn't have to be difficult. Always keep yourself hydrated with water, and follow these simple suggestions. Real food is always needed, but you can also supplement your diet with whole food powders, such as Super Greens.
Before you work out
Your nutrition intake before you exercise should help you maintain energy, allow you to perform better, and preserve your muscle mass. One to two hours before you work out, consider eating food with protein and carbohydrates.
- Protein is great for muscles! It helps you maintain or increase your muscle size and prevents muscle damage from increasing.
- Carbohydrates keep your proteins from breaking down by stimulating the release of insulin. Carbs also help fuel your body for great performance.
Food options to consider before you exercise
- Eggs. They are packed with nutrients and are the gold standard of protein.
- Whole grain bread or cereal. The carbohydrates help give you energy.
- Watermelon. This powerful fruit helps with endurance and can decrease muscle soreness.
- Salmon. Build your muscles and your strength with this heart-healthy food.
- Berries. One cup of berries equals about 20 grams of carbs. Plus, they are rich in antioxidants.
- Greens supplement. Our Super Greens whole food powder gives your energy a big boost before a workout.
After you work out
When you're finished with your workout, your body will need some nutrition to help it recover and refuel. Once again, proteins and carbs are a great combo.
- Protein helps your muscles recover and helps you adapt better to your workout routines.
- Carbohydrates plus fruit helps restore your body's glycogen, which is good for overall restoration and your ability to perform your next workout.
Food options after you exercise
- Greek yogurt. Plain, nonfat Greek yogurt is low in calories and high in protein. Use it in a post-workout smoothie, or add fruit for a quick snack.
- Pistachios. This vegan food is a complete source of protein. They also are high in potassium, which is a good recovery nutrient.
- Turkey. This meat is full of good protein and amino acids that your body needs to recover. Roll it in a whole wheat tortilla with avocado and salsa.
- Peanut butter. The protein in peanut butter combined with the carbs in whole wheat sandwich bread will refuel your body.
- Low-fat granola bar. Need a quick snack to perk you up after your workout? Grab a healthy granola bar and wash it down with some low-fat chocolate milk.
We do not recommend that you use Super Greens supplement after your workout. Why? The high amounts of antioxidants in the greens supplement actually work against muscle-building and repairing. Super Greens can be taken at any other time, just not right after a workout.
The benefits of a greens supplement
A greens supplement is a combination of healthy fruits and vegetables that are ground into a powder. The nutrients inside the supplement can be absorbed easily, so your body receives a boost of energy. Super Greens also promotes clear thinking and focus. The antioxidants promote an excellent immune system. Super Greens contains dairy-free probiotics to help out your digestive system.
Add Super Greens to your workout routine. Blend one scoop of the greens supplement with water, juice, or a smoothie, and drink up the healthy goodness about an hour before you exercise. Your body will love the way Super Greens naturally energizes. Follow up your exercise routine with a healthy post-workout food option to help your body recover properly.
Nested Naturals is committed to providing you with supplements that will help you live a healthier and happier life.