Welcome and thank you for listening to Lee on the Hot Flashes and Cool Topics Podcast talking about sleep!
A few quick points she covered:
- Important to recognize that although insomnia can start due to menopausal hormone changes, it often continues due to perpetuating factors.
- These are often things you do to help with insomnia, but end up making things worse. For example, by grabbing some sleep whenever you can, your body clock can get out of sync. Drinking lots of coffee disrupts falling asleep and the quality of sleep you get. And drinking alcohol to relax before bed also decreases the quality of your sleep.
- The top tip for getting better sleep is to keep your sleep schedule consistent, especially waking up at the same time every morning.
- Experiment with different kinds of breathwork to help with stress and the anxiety that often comes along with menopause. Some deep breathing can actually trigger more anxiety.
- Try to relax about your sleep, as stressing about sleep just makes it harder to sleep. To unwind for sleep, or to go back to sleep when you wake up during the night, try doing “legs up the wall” pose.
Supplements we recommend that can help are:
- Menopause Care, a herbal blend to help balance your hormones.
- LUNA, a blend of melatonin and herbs
- LUNA Melatonin Free, for those people who don’t want the melatonin
- Vitamin D, which is best taken with K2. This does not help you fall asleep, and might be best to take in the morning, but vitamin D deficiency is linked to poor sleep
- Magnesium, which will help your muscles relax
- Super Greens to help with digestion and energy to support that morning routine. Super Greens is also available in Chocolate Super Greens
- B Complex taken in the morning to help with energy, and it will also support your melatonin production
As a listener of the podcast, we are happy to offer you 25% Off your purchase of any of our supplements. Use code 'HotAndCool' at checkout.