‘Tis the season for boots, scarves, football, crunchy leaves and cozy blankets, but of course, most significantly, pumpkin everything (and we mean everything). From pumpkin picking to pumpkin spice lattes, during the one time of year they are grown, pumpkins are a signature key to embracing fall festivities! One of the best things about embracing something like pumpkins during the fall season is that they’re a vegetable. This means that the healthy benefits that come with eating (not just carving) pumpkins is crazy good, and so are the unique ways you can incorporate them into your diet.
To start, one cup of mashed pumpkin contains three grams of fiber, which aids in weight management as it makes you feel full for longer! You’re receiving more potassium than in that of a banana, one of the leading forms of potassium we turn to. Not only that, but in one cup alone, you’re also containing more than 200% (no, that’s not a typo!) of the recommended daily value intake of vitamin A, which helps to improve eyesight. There’s also a good sum of vitamin C in there, which will help to fight off those nasty colds you may get as the weather starts to change.
Getting to the more technical stuff – pumpkin contains carotenoids which are said to help prevent cancer as well as keep skin healthy and wrinkle-free. The seeds especially are rich in phytosterols which reduce cholesterol, as well as the amino acid tryptophan that helps to produce serotonin, ultimately resulting in better moods and a better sleep. I told you, pumpkins are awesome!
Now that you know all the amazing health benefits of eating pumpkin, I’m sure you want to get the most out of your fall season and jump on the pumpkin bandwagon by incorporating it into your diet in a deliciously healthy way! Here are 5 interesting, and absolutely delicious ways to incorporate pumpkin into your diet.
- Pumpkin Soup: thick, creamy, and cozy for those cooler nights – pumpkin soup is healthy and filling! Check out the recipe, here.
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes: fluffly, sweet, and healthy = too much yum! Check out the recipe, here.
- Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo: your same old alfredo creamy-ness, in pumpkin form! Check out the recipe, here.
- Pumpkin Smoothie: the sweet taste of a pumpkin pie dessert, in delicious healthy smoothie form – and you can have smoothies for breakfast! Check out the recipe, here.
- Pumpkin Dip: 4 ingredients, 5 minutes, and football party greatness. Check out the recipe, here.