Curious how we start the day here at Nested Naturals? We’ll tell ya: By doing absolutely nothing.
No, really! On any given day of the week, you’ll find our team still and silent as we kick off the workday with a 10 minute meditation.
What is Meditation?
Essentially, it’s a means of transforming your mind. While there are various techniques out there, the common goal among them is to develop concentration, clarity, emotional positivity and a sense of calm. Think of it like exercising your body- each day you are training your brain a little more to focus on the morning meditation benefits
present rather than dreading the future or dwelling on the past.
What are the Benefits?
For those of us who have experienced stress, a lack of focus, worrying, trouble with relationships, or even addictions- meditation is said to help. Meditation is also a natural way to deal anxiety as outlined in this handy guide. With daily practice comes peace of mind, heightened clarity and creativity, better relationships and an overall sense of well-being.
How do I do it?
If you’ve never meditated before, guided meditation might be a great place to start. We recommend checking out headspace.com. This site offers 10 days of free guided meditation! If you’d prefer to get started on your own, here are some tips:
- Choose a setting where you will be uninterrupted. Whether that’s your bedroom, office or kitchen, choose somewhere that makes you feel comfortable and turn your phone to silent.
- Begin in a seated position. Some may prefer to sit on the floor while others will choose a chair. Both are totally fine.
- Breathe! Focus on diaphragm breathing (this is done by contracting the diaphragm, a muscle located horizontally between the thoracic cavity and abdominal cavity. You’ll know you’re doing it right if your belly expands as you fill your lungs with air!) in through the nose and out through the mouth. Many find counting while breathing can help them get in the groove. Count “1” while breathing in, “2” while breathing out, “3” while breathing in… and so forth up to 10. Then start again.
- Be aware that you will have thoughts floating in and out of your mind during this time. That’s okay! Whenever you catch yourself lost in thought, just gently bring yourself back to the exercise by focusing on the sensations you feel, the sounds you hear and counting your breaths.
- Know that there is no right answer when it comes to the length of your meditation. The point is just to take a few minutes to practice mindfulness whenever you can fit it in to your day. Begin with just 10 minutes and work your way up if it feels too short!
- Achieving a healthy mindset is so important when it comes to your happiness, productivity and wellbeing. As Pema Chodron says, “Meditation practice isn’t about trying to throw ourselves away and become something better, it’s about befriending who we are.”
Another way we keep stress in check is by utilizing our own products, after all, we only make and sell products using ingredients we’d be happy to put in our own bodies. 5-HTP and Mood Lift are two of our most popular natural products for stress management, anxiety relief and lessening the severity of symptoms associated with mild depression.